The Antigua and Barbuda Citizenship-by-Investment Program, which the Government of Antigua and Barbuda announced at the annual Citizenship Conference in November 2012, was passed by both Houses of Parliament in March 2013. The laws regarding the Antigua and Barbuda Citizenship-by-Investment Program are contained in the country’s Citizenship by Investment Act 2013, and Citizenship by Investment Regulations 2013.
Antigua and Barbuda is an independent Commonwealth state in the Eastern Caribbean. With some 365 beaches of clean, clear, turquoise waters, the lush tropical island of Antigua is an inviting paradise and considered to be one of the most beautiful places in the world. As a result, tourism is the key driver of GDP and generates around 60% of the island’s income, with key target markets being the US, Canada, and Europe.
Antigua is a member of the United Nations (UN), the British Commonwealth, CARICOM and the Organization of American States (OAS), among many other international organizations. Holders of the Antiguan passport enjoy visa-free travel to approximately 150 destinations, including the UK and Europe’s Schengen area. Holders of this passport, like all Caribbean countries, do require a visa to enter the US as Antigua and Barbuda is not a member of the Visa Waiver Program.
The Antigua and Barbuda Citizenship-by-Investment Program requires a person to make a significant economic contribution to the country. In exchange, and subject to a stringent vetting and due diligence process, including thorough background checks, the applicants and their families are granted citizenship. To qualify for citizenship, the main applicant must be over 18 years of age, meet the application requirements, and select one of the following three options available:
- A contribution to the National Development Fund (NDF) of a minimum non-refundable amount of USD 100,000.
- The purchase of real estate with a minimum value of USD 400,000 from an approved real estate project. Under a limited time offer (LTO) — valid until 31 October 2018 — two applicants can make a joint investment with each applicant investing a minimum of USD 200,000 in order to qualify. The real estate cannot be disposed of within the five-year period.
Process and Timeframe:
This immigration program required fast processing of 3 months* (Estimated timeframe)
Benefits of Antigua & Barbuda Citizenship Program:
- There are no restrictions on dual citizenship in Antigua and Barbuda.
- An Antigua and Barbuda passport provides visa-free access to approximately 150 destinations including the UK, Europe’s Schengen area, Singapore, and Hong Kong
- Full citizenship with passport is granted to the applicant and family
- Antigua and Barbuda is a member of the Commonwealth. This entitles citizens to certain privileges in the UK and other member states
- Antigua and Barbuda is an attractive place to live or to own a second home, with excellent air links to North America and Europe