Portugal is the westernmost European country. Its colonies extended across Africa, Brazil, Persia, Indochina, and the Malay Peninsula, creating one of the world’s most globalized and peaceful nations. Portugal is considered very safe and has a low crime rate. Although Portuguese is the official language, English is widely spoken, especially in tourist regions.
The country is a member of the Schengen area and began using the euro as its currency in 2002. While Portugal is shifting towards offering business-oriented services, a third of its economy remains in manufacturing. It is the world’s largest supplier of cork and enjoys the benefits of a strong tourism industry.
Portugal has produced streamlined legislation to create an efficient process by which non-EU citizens may obtain
a residence permit based on investment. The legislation offers three qualifying routes of committing funds to obtain residence status under the Golden Residence Permit program, which must be maintained for a minimum period of five years. After five years as a resident, the applicant is eligible to apply for Portuguese citizenship.
The Portugal GRP program is a five-year residence by-investment program for non-EU nationals. The
residence permit allows free circulation in the Schengen area and only requires an average of seven days per year stay in Portugal over this period, which can also count towards citizenship eligibility after five years. The program’s qualifying options are:
- Capital Transfer of a minimum of EUR 1 million into a Portuguese bank account or specifically approved investment options
- EUR 350,000 for research activities of public or private entities that are part of the national scientific and technological system*
- EUR 250,000 in support of artistic production or in the recovery or maintenance of the national cultural heritage*
- EUR 350,000 for the acquisition of units of investment funds or venture capital funds committed to the capitalization of companies incorporated under the Portuguese law, with a maturity of at least five years and with at least 60% of the investment portfolio in companies with a head office in the national territory
- A real estate purchase with a minimum value of EUR 500,000*
- A real estate purchase with a minimum value of EUR 350,000 for the refurbishment of properties older than 30 years or in an area of urban regeneration, including the cost of renovations*
This process will take up to 6 months to maximum 2 years.
Benefits of Portugal Golden Residency:
- Portugal allows dual citizenship.
- Low physical presence requirement (seven days during the first year of residence and 14 days for the two subsequent years)
- Attractive taxation system
- Visa-free travel in Europe’s Schengen area; right to live, work, and study in Portugal
- Eligibility to apply for citizenship after five years as a legal resident while keeping other citizenship(s)
- High quality of life, local cuisine and wines, rich culture, mild climate and a high level of security.
- Family reunification